Sunday, February 7, 2010

Application Letter - Draft no. 1

JOB ADVERT

International Management Trainee
Interested in working in Singapore for Meltwater News?

About the Meltwater Group

The Meltwater Group is a privately held software company founded in Norway in 2001 committed to challenging existing business models by introducing disruptive technologies and building a powerful, global sales infrastructure. The Meltwater Group delivers B2B solutions based on search engine technology (Meltwater News), cloud computing (Meltwater Drive), talent management software (Meltwater Talent), social media tracking (Meltwater Buzz), press outreach (Meltwater Press) and biometrics (GenKey).

Meltwater News - Join a Winning Team

Meltwater News is the global leader in the field of electronic media monitoring, delivering a cutting edge Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) solution to more than 15,000 thousand corporate clients in more than 20 countries around the world. Despite a challenging global economic environment in 2009, Meltwater continues to grow aggressively as the need for companies to make sound business decisions based on tailored information from the internet is greater than ever before.
To accommodate our growth we are looking for exceptional candidates for our Singapore office who are eager to pursue an extremely challenging and rewarding career in one of Europe's fastest growing companies.

Your ideal qualifications
  • University degree (any discipline)
  • Strong academic results
  • Passion for consultative sales and business development
  • Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
  • Entrepreneurial spirit and hunger for success
  • Track record for meeting goals and deadlines
  • Natural leadership qualities
  • International experience (academic or professional)
  • Ambitious internships or first relevant professional experience


APPLICATION LETTER


Blk 789, #12-34-5,
99 Pasir Panjang Road,
Singapore 123456
U1234567@nus.edu.sg
+65 91122334

5th February 2010

Mr. Jackie Cham
Managing Director
Meltwater Singapore
#99-99/99, 0 Eu Tong Sen Street
Singapore 098765

Dear Mr Cham,

Application for the position of International Management Trainee

With reference to your job advertisement on the Meltwater Asia website, I would like to apply for the position of International Management Trainee.

I am currently a final year Bioengineering major at the National University of Singapore (NUS) and expecting to graduate in May 2010. An engineering background has prepared me to think critically and taught me vital problem solving skills which have been put to the test in my Final Year Project on B----------- ---------- --- ------- ------------. A brief stint in Germany during my Student Exchange Program has exposed me to different worldview thoughts, making me receptive to new ideas.

My past experiences include being a science teacher in a secondary school which allowed me to hone my interpersonal skills and motivational ability, attributes that are important in a management position. In addition, I have also acquired valuable IT skills, such as video and presentation slides production, while working as a Student Editor in the ------ --- ------------- ---------- in NUS. My internship as a Research Assistant in the --------- ----------- ---------- of NUS also serves to expand my skills in planning which will be suitable when managing a company.

As an elected representative to the ------ ------ ----- -------- of -------- ----, holding the portfolio of --------- -- ------ ---------, I have vast experiences in managing groups of people and planning the future direction of an organisation. I was also chairperson of the Archive committee and Vice-chairperson of the IT committee and Video Production committee, providing me with myriad leadership experiences. I joined the Young Entrepreneurs Program for 3 years and rose through the ranks to become the Managing Director. In that program I experienced managing a company at different levels.

The skills and experience gained previously will allow me to competently carry out my responsibilities in this position. I would welcome an opportunity to discuss my qualifications and how I could be of service to the company. I can be reached with confidence at the above contacts.

Yours sincerely,


Jon----- ----

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jon,

    A few comments about your application letter.

    1. "Bioengineering major doing at the National University of Singapore".
    There is an error in the language here.

    2. "My internship as a Research Assistant... also serves.."
    I think serves should be in the past tense. Actually it is redundant. You could probably say, "my internship as a Research Assistant ...expanded my ...."

    3. When you mentioned about how your FYP put your problem solving skills to the test, it may be helpful to elaborate more on how you overcome specific challenges and how relevant it will be to the position.

    4. You may also want to elaborate more about how what kind of company you were involved in through the Young Entrepreneur Programme.

    5. You may want to use an active verb, instead of saying "being a science teacher".

    Overall, your application letter and various experiences are impressive!

    Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jon,

    I think your is a very good example of a cover letter. It is concise while covering all ground. Just a small suggestion: My past experiences --> My past WORK experiences.

    That's all. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi

    I like this post very much. It help me to solve some my work under my director’s requirements.

    Apart from that, below article also is the same meaning

    experience letter

    Tks again and nice keep posting
    Rgs

    ReplyDelete